January 19, 2011

Interview With An Actress


Acting is a tough job. There's so many little things that go into it: you have to be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and nonverbally; you need to have the capacity to memorize tons of dialogue; and you must have the power to tap into the feelings and emotions of a character who may be the complete opposite of you. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. We haven't even gotten to being comfortable conversing in front of an audience that's judging your every move. There's no room for mistakes; no retakes. Talk about pressure. I would even go so far as to call stage acting - acting on stage, live, in front of people - one of the mentally hardest jobs there is. I know I couldn't do it. But today I introduce you to someone who can - and does - very well. Meet Kelli Moore.
Kelli is a drama student, a dynamo of a thespian who has been in well over twenty productions. She's perky, unique, energetic, honest, and believable. When you witness her plays, you get the sense that she knows exactly what she's doing on stage. She seems completely at home whether she's talking one-on-one or in front of a packed auditorium. A waitress by day and an actress and singer by night, she is headed for great things. I just had to interview this future star.
I decided to ask Kelli about her profession, her hopes, and her dreams. I wanted to gain an elementary knowledge of what it's like to be a stage actor. I wanted to be able to show someone wishing to follow in her footsteps what to expect and what it takes. This is the conversation that occured: 
What made you want to pursue acting?
[My high school's] senior play of Hansel and Gretel.... I was Gretel.
What is the hardest thing about what you do?
The hardest thing is the first few moments on stage. You're so nervous and you don't know if you can
do it but once you start going, it's absolutely amazing.
Do you have any special memorization techniques?  
[I just] say my lines over and over again, but you don't want to overdo it or you'll forget.
Have you ever lost yourself in a role? Like forgotten or questioned your identity?
Laughs. I don't think I've done that. I get into the character for the show. It's fun to pretend you're someone else for a while.
What are your goals?
My goal is to be happy and to pursue my dream in acting. I want to be a role model for kids.
What are you doing now to achieve those goals?
[I'm] going to school and trying to learn everything I can. I'm auditioning for as many things that I can possibly audition for.
Who is your favorite actress?
Rachel McAdams.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
Hopefully with a wonderful acting job and someone to share my life with. Smiles.
What do you do for fun to unwind?
Hang with my friends, read a book, and sing.
What is the most awesome thing about you?
I'm a very friendly person and I try to look at the positive things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...