January 1, 2011

Admissions of an Addict


What would your life be like if you didn't have a cell phone? For many in our generation, that's a ridiculous question. "...Didn't have a cell phone? Why would anyone not have a cell phone?" Well, for many young adults around the world, that question is answered every day of their lives. And unfortunately, this week I involuntarily joined their ranks.
I'll spare you the details of how I cracked the screen of my beloved BlackBerry – it is an amazing yet highly embarrassing tale – but suffice it to say the consequences were immediate and unexpected. I had no idea how much I subconsciously rely on my cell phone. It is my gateway to the world, my portable entertainment device, my sole means of waking up and knowing where I’m supposed to be. It’s like I’ve lost my best friends... or at least access to them. Not everyone has Facebook. Thank goodness I backed up most of my contacts online!
I have discovered, though, that I am an addict to my cell phone – or my texter, as I affectionately call it. I find myself still trying to check my messages first thing every morning – despite the only thing on my screen being a magnificent multicolored crack.  I’ve realized that without looking at my phone, I have no idea what the date is. I’ve noticed that I have to actually take a paper and pencil out if I have a sudden thought. I haven’t had to do that in a while. My texter has spoiled me.
And this prompts the question: is that a good thing or a bad thing? Our phones are such an ingrained part of our lives…. It’s no secret that a growing number of people spend countless hours on their phone every month, doing everything from bidding on knickknacks to writing novels. Yes, entire novels have been written on cell phones. They can be used to find friends, find ourselves, and – reportedly – unlock car doors (I’ve personally tried this out with no luck). People use them as paperless airplane tickets and even as credit cards (imagine just scanning your cell phone at a vending machine and being charged for it later). Cell phones do about everything we could want them to do and make life easier. But the question remains: is it okay to be so reliant upon one device?
Up until this week, I didn’t think I could function without my cell phone. I’m still not sure if I can. But I am sure that my week has been a whole lot less stressful since I stopped carrying around that convenient little device. No more texter’s thumb. No more phantom vibrations. I can actually enjoy a movie without being bombarded by messages and phone calls. I won’t lie – there have been some setbacks. Meeting friends is a hassle. I’m carrying around a paper with important numbers in case of emergencies. But no price can be put on peace of mind.
Next week I’ll be getting a replacement BlackBerry. And I’ll no doubt continue my counterproductive ways. But this week I was forced to stop and think. This week I was pressed to consider an alternative. Far be it from me to say if it is alright to depend on some gadget for every little thing but I challenge you to go a day without your cell phone... a week if you’re brave enough. Maybe you’ll have an eye-opening experience or maybe you’ll just be annoyed but I guarantee you it’ll have an impact. You’ll be taking the road less traveled and in the immortal philosophy of Robert Frost, that makes all the difference. 

1 comment:

  1. I'd hate not to have my phone. I barely survived a week with no phone and I hated it! It drove me crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...