November 16, 2011

Marvin's Room (Remix)


Aubrey Drake Graham, as anyone in tune with such things would know, is one of the brightest stars in hip-hop today. The 25-year-old entertainer has been lighting up the charts and the Internet with hit after hit after hit, many of which are not even officially singles. The rapper/singer’s emotional and brutally honest songs are infectious, game-changing, and addictive, subtly commanding to be played over and over again. Thank Me Later, Drake’s 2010 debut album, still gets played in its entirety every few weeks by me. In honor of the release of his second album, Take Care, I’ve rewritten one of the songs on it – the smash hit “Marvin’s Room”, which has been covered and remixed by a plethora of established artists and up-and-comers on YouTube.


Although me rewriting a Drake song is akin to a man with no formal artistic training trying to recreate a Monet painting, I am enamored with this song about a man’s drunken call to an ex girlfriend and felt compelled to contribute a little something of my own. Like a novelist crafting characters, I created a persona with his own unique background, history, and issues. With writing my version, I have no intention of trying to one-up Drake or make his song better; how could I? It’s great just the way it is and each individual artist’s remix only adds to the whole. If you like my addition, I thank you. If you don’t, please do not hesitate to let me know what’s wrong with it and I will take your input into account if ever I should rewrite a song again. As for now, enjoy it and take care.

Marvin’s Room (Remix) – Tysonn McKinnon


Shots of the PatrĂ³n ….
Old girl’s number in my cell phone….
I should get a cab and go home
But I’m just feelin’ way too gone….
The woman that I wanna try
Has moved on to another guy.
But I still love her so much….
That Imma call her anyway

And say:

“What’s up wit that new guy who treats you so bad?
You don’t deserve for him to make you feel so sad.”

I say:

“Why are you still with that no-good, abusive clown?
When I see him, oh, yes, it’s going down….”

(Are you drunk right now?)

I’m just sayin’ you could do better….
Remember how happy you were when we were together?
I’m just sayin’ you could do better….
Win, lose, or draw, I'll care about you forever….

I think I’m addicted to curves and curls
And sittin’ ‘round talkin’ ‘bout girls
That I almost had….
I don’t think I notice that I act bogus
When I’m trippin’ off of blue lotus
‘Til it all goes bad….
But yo, it’s all good.
I threw a party.
Yeah, I threw a party.
Drunk girls came over.
Yeah, I threw a party.
I was just callin’
‘Cause they were just leavin’.
Talk to me please;
You are all I believe in.
I need you right now.
Will you please just listen to me?
There are some things I just need you to see….
I have too many freeloaders just living off me.
Done too many things of which I am ashamed….
But it’s on me and I will take all the blame.
Man, I miss hearin’ and sayin’ your name…
I know I’m not making no sense; I’ll explain:
I’ve having a hard time without you in my life.
I’m not here to conjure no pain or no strife.
Just please know that I want you as my wife.
Oops – I probably shouldn’t have said that.
Oh, well, I was just stating a fact…..

(Are you drunk right now?)

I’m just sayin’ you could do better….
Please believe I’m not tryna be sappy….
I’m just sayin’ you could do better….
I’m not hatin'; I just wanna see you happy….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...