March 24, 2011

Just Who Exactly Is Skylar Grey?


I am a fan of good music. I have been for quite some time. Whatever the genre, I’ve always enjoyed music that speaks to me; music that has a purpose. The ideal song, in my opinion, is one that comes from the heart. It tells a story or explains a situation. When it’s over, you feel empowered or cultured, as if you’ve just been exposed to something greater than words can describe. It might address trivial or hedonistic facets but it does not dwell upon them. You may know every lyric by heart but still discover something different with each new listen.
Unfortunately, these criteria seem to eliminate an increasingly large number of hip hop songs from the music I choose to listen to. As a culture, the music seems to be exiting the Age of the Conscious and entering the Age of the Mindless. For all of its shortcomings, hip hop used to at least be able to say it had standards. The artists stood for something. Sadly, those days seem to be behind us. Even Chris Rock finds it hard to defend hip hop nowadays. I say all of that to say this – when I hear a song that’s well-written, well-performed, and thought-provoking, it is like a breath of fresh air. It stands out. It catches my attention. If it’s really good, it might even make its way into my MP3 player, home of only the best of the best. Lately, I’ve noticed more than a few songs fitting this description, which really says something as this has become a more and more uncommon event. Upon replaying the music videos for these songs, I noticed an occurrence even rarer – all of these songs feature the same artist: a gifted young singer/songwriter by the name of Skylar Grey.
I was, of course, intrigued. Just who exactly is this Skylar Grey? I was determined to find out. After a little Googling, I was surprised to find out that I was already familiar with her work; I just didn’t know it. Skylar provided the haunting, disembodied-sounding chorus on Fort Minor’s 2006 hit single “Where’d You Go”. She went by the name Holly Brook back then. I also found out that she has had a very musical background, performing professionally with her mother as a child and starting a band as a teenager. By eighteen, she had signed her first record deal. Her debut album Like Blood Like Honey dropped two years later. Since then, she has collaborated with and toured with various artists of even more various genres. Last year, however, is when she plunged back into international consciousness in a major way – although once again, I didn’t know it.
In 2010, Skylar wrote parts of Eminem and Rihanna’s major smash single “Love the Way You Lie”. This song was inescapable that summer. It not only cemented Eminem’s personal and musical comeback but it also lit a fire under Skylar’s career as well. For her writing, she was nominated for a Grammy award, the apex of musical achievement, and quickly became a hot commodity. She swiftly parlayed this recognition into a job helping write and perform on Diddy-Dirty Money’s hit “Coming Home”, lauded as music mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs’ most heartfelt and open song to date. I next heard her once again otherworldly vocals in “Words I Never Said”, a politically-charged single off conscious rapper Lupe Fiasco’s long-awaited third albumLasers. Then came the biggest aftershock of all.
I don’t know how she did it but somehow Skylar Grey finagled her way into hip hop history in a very, very short amount of time. Skylar’s talents are prominently displayed in “I Need a Doctor”, the second single of the iconic rapper/producer Dr. Dre’s very last album Detox. Dr. Dre is hip hop; he’s been refining and perfecting the craft longer than most of us have been listening to it. He’s the reason we have Eminem, 50 Cent, The Game…. The list goes on and on. If you trace the history of gangsta rap, you’ll find Dr. Dre’s name etched at the very beginning of it. He’s made classics with living legends like Snoop Dogg and the late greats Tupac, Nate Dogg, and Eazy-E. To work with him is extraordinary; to be featured on his long-awaited last album is beyond belief. And I don’t mean to disrespect Dr. Dre or Mr. Mathers but Skylar Grey made that song what it is. She put the icing on the cake. The duo was great but the trio took it to a “whole ‘nother level”.
So after all of that, what could possibly be next for this talented young Wisconsinite? As internet sensation Antoine Dodson would say, well, obviously… a lot. Skylar has that unique gift of writing and singing in a way that is relevant, attention-getting, and relatable. She mines the depths of what it is to be human – the pain, the angst, the love – and somehow is able to make it sound good. That is the niche that Skylar Grey fills and that is the niche that we need filled. As a result, the artist is currently seeing her dreams – and popularity – soar. Not only did she live almost every artist’s dream of performing live at the Grammy’s but she also performed with Diddy-Dirty Money on American Idol. Capitalizing on her talent and demand, she has just recently been signed to Interscope Records, home of both Eminem and the good doctor. She also currently has a solo album in the works with a single said to be coming very soon.
It would appear that the young Skylar has made some very good decisions in her career. I hope to see them continue. She makes great music. Far be it from me to say just how bright Skylar’s career will shine but I know right now, I don’t see even the hint of a flicker. The sky’s the limit for this gifted young lady and her music. The day will come – and soon, I expect – where no one will be asking, “Who is Skyler Grey?”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...